Every holiday, my family asks me to make this dish. I like making it once and then having leftovers. Quinoa is a complete protein, so with the kale, spinach, mushrooms and squash, this makes a great side dish or a whole meal. Since spinach and kale are highly covered in pesticides I recommend buying organic if possible. I like to add a lot of spinach and mushrooms. Feel free to adjust the recipe to your liking.
- 2 Tbsp olive oil divided
- 1 small butternut squash
- ½ cup chopped red onion
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 12 oz package white or cremini mushrooms
- 1 cup spinach
- 1 cup kale
- 2 cups cooked quinoa (red or white is fine, cook according to directions)
1. Preheat oven to 400°. Line a baking sheet with foil and set aside. Peel, seed and chop the butternut squash into 1″ cubes or buy it pre-cubed. Toss the squash with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and a bit of salt & pepper, then place on prepared cookie sheet in a single layer. Roast for 15-20 minutes, or until tender. Remove from oven and set aside.
2. Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add the remaining olive oil. Add the garlic and onions and sauté until fragrant and softened. Next, add the mushrooms and balsamic vinegar, and cook until tender, about 3 minutes. Lower the heat, add the spinach and kale, mix well. Don’t overcook the spinach and kale, it only needs a few minutes to soften.
3. Toss the mushroom, spinach, kale mixture in with the quinoa and mix well. Next, add the roasted squash and mix in gently.
Try this dish and let me know what you think.